Another handful of Tips 29 – Teamwork
Five of the best tips to improve teamwork
Teamwork doesn’t happen because a decision is made to form a team. It can be ineffective unless you get the mix right.
1. Select team leaders for their enthusiasm and vision
Choose leaders on merit. They must be good leaders and motivators to inspire their teams.
2. Balance teams for their synergy and co-operation
Members should have skills that are complementary.
Allow time for teams to build and develop.
3. Teams should be empowered to do things their way and not be heavily supervised
If given freedom to operate according to their experiences and skills they will contribute more and get greater work satisfaction and their contribution will be greater.
4. Goals should be realistic, challenging and negotiable
Make sure everyone knows precisely what is required.
Set realistic deadlines to complete projects and make sure teams have an adequate budget.
5. Competitions between teams can stimulate members to increase their efforts
Teams should be rewarded for their successes.
“Alone we can do so little.
As a team we can do so much.”
Source: “Secrets for Success. This book could change your life”, “Secrets for Success” published by Moss Associates Ltd and Cengage Learning Asia. Also available as an e-book from Amazon.com.